Immersion Spanish courses. But what exactly is immersion?
Hello, I’m going to try to explain to you what the concept of linguistic immersion consists of, in the context of foreign language learning. Well, we say that our… that our Spanish courses are immersion Spanish courses. What does this mean exactly? It means that in our courses our students are immersed at all times in a reality of communication in the Spanish language. Our students need to communicate in Spanish in all the activities of the course. We try to make sure that the Spanish language is used in everything. In this case it is not difficult, because the courses are aimed at one or two people, they are very exclusive. The teachers, Jimena and I, are… we are people with a lot of experience and we have the ability to adapt the level of communication with our students, so that at all times the conversation is fluid, our students can understand perfectly, or as best as possible, what we want to say, and all the activities, all the… everything we do in the course is designed so that the interactions in Spanish are as frequent and as effective as possible. Many of them have to do with doing the normal things in life. For example, meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner. The free time activities that we do, specifically the excursions, which are basically the activity that we… the walks, which is the outdoor activity that we do…. These excursions are designed to be a perfect opportunity for exchanges in Spanish. The level of difficulty is never high, the environment is always pleasant, we always try to make it suitable. Of course, we avoid any stressful situation or the slightest danger. We make sure that… We make sure that all the walks we take in the countryside, that in general all the things we do, are perfect situations for communication in the Spanish language. Of course, we also have formal classes which in this case are also a perfect immersion situation, because, of course, they are classes for one or two people, on some exceptional occasions for three. The classes are also immersive in the sense that they are conversation classes, they are classes of effective linguistic exchange. On this occasion we sometimes place a little more emphasis on formal aspects, on explaining grammatical questions – always from a practical point of view – vocabulary, etc. But everything is always focused, if you like, almost, almost obsessively, on creating a situation of immersion in the sense in which I am explaining: immersion in the language, our students are immersed in the linguistic reality of the Spanish language.
In this case, moreover, given the very exclusive nature of our courses, the immersion is not only effective but also intense, because, in a way, the people who come to our courses cannot hide, they cannot escape. That’s why we sometimes say that it’s important to rest as well, because immersion can be very tiring. You can even be exhausted by the constant need to communicate in a language that is not your native language. This can sometimes even lead to situations of frustration. That’s why we always say that you must be careful, the course is intense, the course is such a perfect immersion that from time to time it’s good to take a break and relax and be quiet in your room or go out on your own for a walk around here, around the village where we live, around La Peral, which also offers wonderful and beautiful landscapes. So, well, I think this can help you understand what linguistic immersion consists of and what our courses consist of, which I… which we consider to be a truly good example of what would almost be an ideal immersion situation. That, in any case, is our goal.
Well, while we’re at it, I’ll take a few seconds to show you the classroom where the formal Spanish classes take place. Well, I was sitting here. Here you see the table where our students sit. There’s the screen to which we connect a computer and, well, some books, the printer…. Then, here, look at the views we have, which are not bad at all. Spectacular landscape of Somiedo, now a bit dry, because it hasn’t rained for a while, but beautiful, in any case. And now let’s take a look at the other window. More Spanish books, books of different kinds… And here, look, the landscape you can also see from this window. Well, that’s all. Goodbye.
Opiniones en Google y Tripadvisor
- The platonic ideal of a language-learning experience I have only the nicest things to say about el Cuélebre - Alfredo and Jimena are excellent teachers and wonderful hosts. They adapted easily to my level and proposed interesting materials and activities. It is hard to overstate what a luxury it was to have such a bespoke experience and such constant, individual attention. On top of that, the location and surrounding area are beautiful, and I ate very well! This is something I will remember for a long time.read moreread lessNeil C5 months ago
- Las vacaciones con El Cuelebre fueron unas maravillosas vacaciones lingüísticas con español, en un entorno natural y paisajístico precioso, salidas a la montaña con unas vistas indescriptibles, comida deliciosa y, sobre todo, en la gran compañía de Jimena y Alfred, profesores de español.
Jimena y Alfredo me dieron una inmersión total en el español y la cultura del país y la región. También fueron unos anfitriones encantadores. Mi objetivo era activar mi español. Jimena y Alfredo fueron muy prácticos en esta tarea. Se podría decir que el curso fue continuo, porque hablábamos todo el tiempo durante viajes, comidas, etc. de todos los temas que nos interesaban, y dos veces al día en la parte más formal del curso volvíamos al vocabulario que aparecía. durante las conversaciones, o a cuestiones gramaticales o relacionadas con España.
Todo esto fue, por supuesto, muy intenso, pero también tiempo para el descanso individual en su propia parte de la casa, en el jardín o para pasear por la zona.
Estoy 100% satisfecho y puedo recomendar este curso a todos los que estén interesados en combinar un curso de español con caminar por la montaña y conocer la hermosa Asturias. Miguel.read moreread lessMichael Pawel6 months ago
- We were so thoroughly delighted with our visit. Alfredo and Jimena were the ultimate hosts. The classes were fun and we were surprised at how much we were able to learn. The hikes were unparalleled for the scenery. What a beautiful place. We saw a number of wild animals from a distance and we won’t forget the beautiful mountain lakes. This place is truly magical. We looked forward to every meal because Jimena is a gifted cook and took great pride in what she prepared. We want to return!!read moreread lessElizabeth Gouveia8 months ago
- Could not be bettered!! There are already many amazing reviews for this couple and the wonderful learning experience that they are providing in this beautiful part of Spain. They are all true!! If you love learning Spanish then the opportunity to immerse yourself in a non-threatening listening and speaking environment could not be bettered. The astonishing variety and quality of food provided was a shared environment for conversation. The daily walks through beautiful mountains and country lanes was another shared environment for conversation. The formal lessons all related directly to the conversations of the day, so they focused on our individual needs, which would work whatever your level in Spanish. The accommodation is extraordinarily comfortable and well-equipped. Despite the many hours of immersion in Spanish each day, there was also time each afternoon to either rest, study or explore the small village further. The timing of activities each day worked perfectly. The seclusion of this tiny village in the mountains removes other possible distractions so that you can focus on sharpening your language skills in order to take on with confidence the cities and beautiful smaller towns all over this amazing country. Alfredo and Jimena were a delight to spend time with, and their gift to us was to open the door to the people and culture of Spain.read moreread less10 months ago
- Aprender el español en el medio de ningún sitio Para mí, la experiencia entera del curso de inmersión de ochos días en La Peral fue maravillosa. Por eso, les doy cinco estrellas a Jimena y Alfredo, quienes son profesores, anfitriones y guías muy competentes y agradables.
Me encantaron las excursiones de senderismo de cada día, caminando por las montañas y los valles de la región local. Los paisajes y las vistas eran espectaculares y muy diversas. Durante las caminatas, Alfredo me enseñó mucho sobre el modo de vida de esta comunidad muy rural, ahora y en épocas anteriores. Me enteré también de la flora y la fauna silvestres y domésticas, y de las alegrías y los retos de sobrevivir económicamente en este lugar muy remoto, único e increíblemente hermoso. Tuve suerte de visitar La Peral en abril cuando había flores numerosas de primavera en todas partes y las hojas de color verde claro de los árboles caducos comenzaban a aparecer. Al principio de la semana había nieve y aguanieve, pero algunos días más tarde pudimos almorzar afuera bajo un cielo azul claro.
Las clases más formales en el aula me ofrecieron la oportunidad de consolidar nuevo vocabulario y mejorar mi conocimiento gramatical. Las lecciones fueron siempre divertidas y Alfredo me dio muchas ideas y materiales, y además unos consejos para seguir aprendiendo más allá del curso.
Me gustaron mucho las comodidades del hogar. Las comidas de Jimena fueron muy sabrosas y también saludables. Mi habitación tenía un ambiente cálido y cómodo. Cuando necesitaba un descanso después de hablar español durante mucho tiempo, Fa, una perra buenísima, era la compañera perfecta.
Gracias a Jimena y a Alfredo por animarme a seguir estudiando el español con el entusiasmo renovado y la motivación más fuerte.
Stephread moreread lessstephanie n10 months ago
- I recently spent 10 days at El Cuélebre and it was an incredible experience. The setting was beautiful and peaceful, nestled in the heart of the natural park. I was there in mid-October and was lucky enough to experience a bit of snow, which added to the magic of the setting. The beautiful walks in the park were a highlight of the trip, and it was a great way to get some exercise and open my mind while learning a new language.
The course itself was challenging but extremely rewarding, thanks in part to the amazing instructors, Jimena and Alfredo. Jimena in addition to being a great teacher was a fantastic cook who always had delicious meals prepared. Alfredo was a patient and knowledgeable Spanish teacher, they both made the learning experience enjoyable and engaging.
In addition to the language lessons, there were excursions to learn about the local culture, flora and fauna. Another added bonus was their dog Fa who joined us on most of the outings. The walks were easy and enjoyable with epic view to enjoy at every turn.
If you're wondering what the accommodation is like... I couldn't fault it. The room was spacious and warm for the Winter weather with windows overlooking the mountains.
Personally the experience was really helpful for me as it gave me a tonne of conversation practice. It also highlighting specific areas that I needed to work on, holes in my learning that I didn't notice before. One of the things that I really appreciated about the course was the one-on-one instruction. I sometimes struggle in group learning environments, so this learning method was really good for me.
TLDR: fantastic experience, 100% recommend, great way to learn Spanish in a spectacular natural park.read moreread lessOrla Larkin1 year ago
- This is a truly unique and very special experience, which is unlike any other Spanish course. You are completely immersed in the Spanish language with constant Spanish conversation. Both Jimena and Alfredo are excellent and extremely experienced teachers, who clearly enjoy sharing their passion for the language.
The setting in the mountains of Northern Spain, is spectacular and the accommodation is extremely comfortable, quiet and clean. You have your own private suite which includes a spacious bedroom with beautiful views as well as an en suite bathroom. The food is absolutely delicious and all freshly prepared by Jimena.
Jimena and Alfredo took me on some wonderful hikes and I was also able to spend one full day in Oviedo with Alfredo, exploring the city as well as the surrounding countryside. I highly recommend this course and look forward to returning in the future.read moreread lessjeanette1 year ago
- Siendo una verdadera amante de España y su cultura, pensé que no era posible estar aún más enamorada. Y sin embargo, lo fue, gracias a esta maravillosa estancia con Jimena y Alfredo.
Me sumergí en la vida española durante una semana. Las excursiones fueron estupendas. Asturias es simplemente irresistible. Esta región está llena de lugares hermosos.
La escuela es un lugar dónde te sientes bien. La habitación es perfecta: te sientes como en casa.
También, la calidad de las clases es notable.
Jimena y Alfredo tienen un gran conocimiento y son extremadamente humanos. Es un verdadero placer hablar y compartir momentos con ellos : durante las excursiones, los viajes en coche o las comidas.
De hecho, los momentos de las comidas fueron especialmente interesantes. La calidad de la cocina de Jimena es simplemente perfecta y la tortilla de Alfredo también 😊
Jimena y Alfredo (sin olvidar a Fa 😊), muchas gracias por esta inolvidable semana que ha sido sin duda, la mejor experiencia de mi vida. Habéis hecho realidad un sueño para mí.
Volveré muy pronto.
¡GRACIAS!read moreread lessGladys Siriez1 year ago
- I spent a week at El Cuelebre in early April - an excellent course in stunning surroundings.
Alfredo and Jimena’s house is in a lovely location and the annex, where I stayed, is cosy and comfortable with beautiful views.
I spent each day, apart from a 3 hour break in the late afternoon, with them - eating meals together, going on walks in the lovely countryside plus two classroom based lessons. We chatted in Spanish all the time. It is a much more ‘natural’ and ‘comfortable’ way of learning and improving Spanish than spending hours sitting in a classroom going over grammar exercises.
We talked about an enormous variety of topics as Jimena and Alfredo have a wide variety of knowledge and interests ranging from the natural world to current politics. I felt that I was with two friends rather than two teachers.
The walks were varied and ‘tailored’ to my level of fitness. Really good. We also had some ‘cultural’ visits, including to Avilés and an Ecomuseum.
The food was very tasty and healthy. The water, straight from the mountains, tastes divine!
As teachers, Jimena and Alfredo are very supportive, sympathetic and professional.
They have sent me links and advice for my future learning in Spanish and I left their house feeling inspired and keen to progress.read moreread lessSusan Hadwin1 year ago
- One of the most wonderful memories of my life. Even though this school looked great online when I booked a two-week visit, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect since I did not know anyone who had spent time there, and websites and reviews can be somewhat more rosy than the reality.
Well, El Cuélebre far surpassed all of my expectations! It was a really stunning experience for me in so many ways.
The hikes were so fun, and these would simply not have been possible if I had been on my own. Jimena and Alfredo know the unmarked routes after spending years in these mountains. And when a foot of snow dumped on us halfway through my stay, we strapped on snowshoes and took walks anyway!
Their house is very cozy. I felt comfortable throughout my stay in my clean, separate living space with a private bathroom.
As others have said in their reviews, the food that Jimena prepares is remarkable. Meal times were enjoyable and relaxed, and gave us plenty of chances to connect, and for me to practice my conversation skills.
My goals at the school were to improve my conversational fluency, and this school is an ideal place to do that. I was able to spend something like 10-12 hours a day speaking Spanish. Jimena and Alfredo were good about giving me corrections, especially when they could point out patterns in my errors, but they were not stopping me every other word to suggest alternatives. This gave my brain the chance to keep forming phrases and whole sentences, but also to improve and commit fewer errors over time.
I appreciated that they also wanted me to have the chance to see something beyond the mountains, and so Alfredo took me one day to visit some towns and spots along the coast. Avilés was so lovely.
Jimena and Alfredo are just really nice people. They are interested and interesting at the same time. They are looking to connect and know about you and your culture, and to also share what they can about theirs. I am so grateful to them for their kind and generous spirits.
If you enjoy the outdoors and want to immerse yourself not only in Spanish language but to learn a great deal about Spanish culture, I cannot recommend a place more highly than El Cuélebre. My time with Jimena and Alfredo will be one of the most wonderful memories of my life.read moreread lessSteve Hinds2 years ago
- Amazing experience For both my husband and me this was an amazing experience. The spectacular setting, the effective teaching, the comfortable lodging, all would have been enough to merit 5 stars, but what truly set this as special was the opportunity to delve into Spanish culture, politics, food, etc., through the lives of two warm and engaging people, Jimena and Alfredo.
First, the setting. The house of Jimena and Alfredo is in a rustic village high in the mountains of Somiedo. From the windows of our comfortable room we woke every morning to the spectacular site of the craggy mountains. Over the course of 10 days we took daily hikes that wandered throughout the area, after each hike we thought the next day couldn’t possibly be more special, but it was. On one day we expressed interest in seeing the coast, so Jimena and Alfredo drove us on a tour of parks and towns along the ocean: we hiked on beaches, along rugged, rocky trails, had great food in a small town. Speaking of food, the fare that Jimena prepared every day was delicious and -- like everything in their course -- personalized to our preferences.
Second, the teaching. Alfredo and Jimena have perfected an effective method of teaching that takes advantage of the immersive environment. While hiking during the day, Alfredo would keep note of topics we’d discussed, words/expressions/concepts we used and misused, and in the class at day’s end would incorporate all of this in his lessons. Also worth noting that we are both at vastly different levels of fluency, yet we both learned so much: Alfredo is one of the best Spanish teachers I’ve had, the first, for example, to explain certain arcane aspects of Spanish grammar that I’ve struggled years to understand.
Finally, the experience itself of living for 10 days with two warm, engaging, smart Spaniards. We’re frequent travelers, but it’s rare to be able to interact with the “locals” beyond daily pleasantries and commercial transactions. El Cuélebre is special because it gave us a window into Spanish life and perspective. Our daily conversations ranged from recipes to family life to politics and history, while hiking in gorgeous mountain settings or sitting at the table eating Jimena’s delicious meals (and perhaps the best bread in Spain). We highly, highly recommend El Cuélebre not only to improve your Spanish, but also to enrich your experience as a traveler.read moreread lessJoel Slackman2 years ago
- Una semana de español y caminata Mi semana en Somiedo fue gratificante de muchas maneras. Otros han comentado mi mejora en español desde el curso. Jimena y Alfredo dieron prioridad a la fluidez y expresión práctica a través de conversaciones a la mesa y caminando; en clase asimismo. Me alegró la inclusión de temas culturales como la prensa y canciones famosas.
En cuanto al plano turístico, el lugar está majestuoso, rodeado por picos de casi 2,000 metros, perfecto para paseos diarios. La cocina casera era deliciosa, a veces platos famosos como gazpacho, a veces otros menos conocidos fuera de España. Me encantaron el pan de Jimena y las setas recogidas durante nuestros paseos.
Jimena y Alfredo me hicieron muy bienvenido. El horario fue bien repartido. Hicimos clases, comida y paseos juntos. Mientras tuve unas horas solo cada día para relajar, leer, etc. (¡incluido para revisar español, por supuesto!)read moreread lessQ3869KCchrisw2 years ago
- A privileged immersion experience that feels like a vacation Do you wish that you had cool Spanish friends (who just so happen to be dedicated language teaching professionals), who would help you learn Spanish?
And put you up in a cozy, fully equipped apartment in the beautiful mountains?
And cook delicious food for you?
And take you on breathtaking hikes, while telling you all about the local nature and history?
Well, it's your lucky day.
Far more than a Spanish school, El Cuélebre blends full language immersion with day-to-day culture and scenic mountain life, treating clients to a kind of experience one could normally only have through personal connections.
It's a very special concept and place. Do yourself a favor, and go.read moreread lessErin Boggs2 years ago
- Not only a great way to improve my Spanish but also a memorable, highly enjoyable experience in its own right. I recently spent a week with Alfredo and Jimena at El Cuelebre. It was a wonderful time of immersion in a beautiful, peaceful mountain world and a lovely household where I was surrounded by Spanish from morning until night. I enjoyed the company of Alfredo and Jimena very much; there were always plenty of stimulating conversation, which was very motivating for improving my Spanish, as I was desperate to join in but didn't always have adequate vocabulary or fluency; I certainly improved both of them a great deal during the week.
Our daily hikes were fabulous and included a large variety of different landscapes, as well as a fascinating traditional village and interesting agricultural buildings and structures. My room, which was huge, was comfortable and attractive, with superb, mountain views from the windows, and well-equipped. The home-cooked food was excellent. Alfredo and Jimena are clearly experienced at tailoring any aspect of what they offer to the individual needs of their students. So I can summarise by saying that this was not only a great way to improve my Spanish but also a memorable, highly enjoyable experience in its own right.read moreread lessFrancesca Buxton2 years ago
- Desde Estonia a Asturias Estuve con Alfredo y Jimena en un curso de español durante una semana en julio. La calidad de la enseñanza es muy buena, está sintonizada con el nivel actual, Alfredo y Jimena señalan detalles prácticos que hacen que hablar sea mucho más fácil. La ubicación es muy bonita - en la parte sur de las montañas de Asturias, no hace calor y la naturaleza es maravillosa. Cada día incluye una caminata por el campo, a veces un paseo fácil de un par de horas, a veces un paseo de medio día por las montañas, con maravillosas vistas. La vida con Alfedo y Jimena es toda en español, por lo que las habilidades lingüísticas prácticas se desarrollan rápidamente. La comida, que se sirve y se puede compartir, es muy buena. De todos modos, ¡recomendar!read moreread lessKarel Kannel2 years ago
- J’ai passé à « El Cuélebre » un séjour formidable ! J’ai passé à « El Cuélebre » un séjour formidable ! Jimena et Alfredo ont beaucoup d’expérience, tout est bien « rodé », ils ont le souci du détail et ils s’adaptent parfaitement aux personnes et aux circonstances.
Le site est magnifique, la chambre grande, fonctionnelle et très accueillante, la cuisine de Jimena et la « tortilla de patatas » d’Alfredo excellentes !
J'ai même eu la chance de voir un ours et de pouvoir l’observer avec les jumelles.
Jimena et Alfredo sont passionnés par la nature et la région des Asturies, ils sont très sympathiques et très intéressants, et nous avons eu de très nombreuses conversations sur des sujets très variés.
J’ai bien l’intention d’y retourner, à une autre saison peut-être, pour voir cette magnifique région sous un autre jour ...read moreread lessAnnick Tauzin2 years ago
- Vollkommen zu Recht erhalten Jimena und Alfredo beste Bewertungen Vollkommen zu Recht erhalten Jimena und Alfredo beste Bewertungen. Das ausgezeichnete Essen, der maßgeschneiderte Unterricht, die Exkursionen, das individuelle Apartment mit Bergblick in 3 Richtungen und der malerische Ort La Peral wurden schon mehrfach korrekt beschrieben. Besonders beeindruckt war ich vom umfangreichen Wissen der beiden Gastgeber in allen nur vorstellbaren Bereichen. Dadurch besteht eine breite Basis für die Konversation auf spanisch, entsprechend den individuellen Interessen des Schülers oder besser des Gastes. Unter den Vorzeichen der Corona-Pandemie (während meines Aufenthalts wurde ganz Festlandspanien zum Risikogebiet erklärt) haben J+A ein Konzept entwickelt, das hohe Sicherheit und beste Voraussetzungen für die Immersion verknüpft. Das beginnt beim Hol- und Bring-Service am Flughafen oder Bahnhof und setzt sich fort bis zu den Hygiene-Maßnahmen im Haus. Da ich die umliegenden Städte schon früher besucht hatte, verzichtete ich gerne auf Besichtigungen und habe die täglichen Wanderungen genossen und dabei sogar einmal das laut Jimena seltene Glück gehabt, einen Bären mit bloßem Auge durchs Gelände laufen zu sehen - vermutlich auf der Flucht vor der kleinen Hündin Fa. Man kann Bären üblicherweise wohl nur mit guten Objektiven aus großer Distanz beobachten. Der Aufenthalt von gut einer Woche hat vollkommen meinen Erwartungen entsprochen.read moreread lessRobert P3 years ago
- The formula offered at El Cuélebre is unique. La Peral is a hamlet built around a small cluster of houses in Somiedo national park in the Asturias region of northern Spain. The hamlet is surrounded by mountains, which are reminiscent of the fells in the Lake District in England. The climate is that of the mountains and in the summer, swirling, early morning mists give way to glorious sun. The accommodation offered at El Cuélebre is a spacious, comfortable room with extensive views onto the surrounding mountains and a private ensuite shower. All meals are provided and the food is excellent home cooking, down to the bread, cake and yogourt on offer for the copious breakfast. Guests share the home of hosts, Jimena and Alfredo, who provide everything guests may need. The hosts have lived in other countries and after many years of welcoming people from all over the world, are finely tuned to accommodating the requirements of their visitors. The area offers an infinite range of excursions on which guests are accompanied and hikes are adapted to suit the fitness level of walkers. Alternatives to hiking are offered, such as cultural outings and trips to the coast. There is little tourism in the area and the only language heard and spoken is Spanish, so the experience of staying in El Cuélebre is one of true immersion in a Spanish-speaking area and household. Alfredo and Jimena have many years of teaching Spanish to speakers of other languages and as keen language learners themselves, have considerable insight into the challenges and sometimes the frustrations that are part of learning a language. For anyone looking for an opportunity to practise speaking Spanish extensively, as well as to discover a truly stunning part of northern Spain, the formula offered at El Cuélebre is unique.read moreread lessHelena Zak3 years ago
- The Best Travel Experience and the Best Way to Learn Spanish Most people know that the best way to learn a language is through immersion. But the idea of immersion can be intimidating – or it certainly was to me. Well, how about immersion tailored to your specific needs and desires, with all the comforts of life, coziness, delectable food, magnificent scenery, and warm, friendly, and knowledgeable hosts? That’s what I had the good fortune to experience at El Cuelebre Spanish school in La Peral, Somiedo Natural Park, Asturias.
I decided to take a week “off” and study at El Cuelebre. Little did I know that I would not only have customized Spanish classes but that I would be spoiled in so many ways. Jimena and Alfredo, owners, teachers, guides, and chef extraordinaire went above and beyond any expectations.
As for language learning, know that Jimena and Alfredo are professionally trained and experienced teachers who have traveled widely and learned a variety of foreign languages themselves. As a result, they're well-acquainted with the needs and challenges of learning a foreign language. They're also very flexible in quickly understanding an individual's difficulties and can customize accordingly. Learning languages is not one of my talents, and I'm insecure about that, but both of them were amazing in making me feel comfortable and encouraging me. We did two formal classroom sessions per day. I initially wondered if that would really be enough, but we covered a lot of ground in each session. For me, the "breaks" consisted of independent study time, walks with my hosts (and their adorable dog) in the surrounding mountains and charming villages, siestas ????, and meals together.
Both Jimena and Alfredo are so generous in sharing their deep and broad knowledge of the area, the history, customs, culture and the flora and fauna and their passion for all the above. I have an interest in politics and both Jimena and Alfredo were very kind and patient to indulge me and answer my many questions. I believe it was through our more casual/informal interactions that I was able to improve my comprehension along with developing a great love and respect for the country and people. I was there off-season, so our outside activities were somewhat dictated by the weather. For me, the "downtime" was perfect to allow me to absorb all the learning in addition to providing me with a calm that I was in desperate need of. I look forward to returning during spring/summer seasons when we’ll seek out other opportunities to visit more historic sites and attractions. Of note: Jimena previously worked for a conservation non-profit and is a font of knowledge on the area flora and fauna. I discovered rather late in the week that she has an enthusiasm and knowledge of butterflies. That alone is reason enough for me to return, IMO.
The accommodation is in Jimena and Alfredo's own charming home, but in a separate area with its own entrance, en-suite bathroom, and (if you go off-season as I did) heating system. The room is spotless, spacious, yet cozy. It is large enough to accommodate not only a sleeping area, but there's a bank of closets, a table with laptop along one window looking out over the mountains, a sitting area with a flat-screen tv, and plenty of space (if you're like me) to do yoga and stretching in the morning. It's well-equipped with all necessary+ amenities, e.g., good Wi-Fi, hairdryer, shampoo and soap, towels, in-room electric kettle for coffee and tea. Basically, if you wanted to you could go with your clothing and cellphone (oh and hiking shoes, of course). There's also an additional sleeping loft. I went on my own, but there's more than enough space for a couple or even 2-3 good friends.
Last, but certainly not least, is the cuisine. Jimena prepared some of the most scrumptious meals I've had -- and I'm a well-traveled food enthusiast! Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all-inclusive, and I dined on paella, fabada, stuffed trout, and tortillas to name just a few. She used only the freshest of ingredients and was very mindful of food sensitivities and dietary requirements. Thank goodness for the opportunity for walks, otherwise, I would've surely gained a lot of weight!
To ensure that the learning wouldn't stop with the classes, Alfredo was generous in providing online links to other resources and YouTube videos, as well as suggested leisure reading books for my level. I'm currently enjoying reading some fun mysteries in Spanish.
If I've left you with any question, let me just say that my time with Jimena and Alfredo was educational, informative, delightful, delicious, head-clearing, relaxing, and inspiring. I arrived there a nervous, stressed out novice student and left there calm, energized, more confident, feeling like a princess, with a little bit of sadness to leave friends behind. I look forward to my next stay at El Cuelebre!read moreread lessCorinne Westphal4 years ago
- The Best way to Learn Spanish by emerging your self all day long Just got back from a fabulous week with Alfredo y Jimena. Initially thought 2 hours a day formal sessions was not enough but by joining them for meals and going out walking was enough to begin to refresh my previously learnt Spanish. It was really useful to use Lola Lago reading aids to create a conversation. I already could understand a lot of Spanish but my problem was speaking it and getting it right. Being corrected all the time really helps. We went out everyday could not go far as it had snowed but loved it.
We ate vegetarian food most of the time and it was lovely, especially the gazpacho
the home made hummus, guacamole and the pizza. (estupendo).
Jimena is a fabulous cook and really made an effort to provide food that we enjoyed. Although she did not provide our lessons I spent along time speaking with her, and her accent is very clear and she is very patient in listening then helping us to speak in the correct way. She gave time to listen to me which really helped.
We would go back there again for a shorter period to keep the momentum going of learning Spanish. I have dyslexia but found it very easy to listen to Jimena more easier than Alfredo.
The wifi in the bedroom both of us had difficulty with the signal, which is better in the lounge. Also would be nice to have more pillows in the beds but room was lovely, cozy and with fabulous views
And of course Loved Fa
thank you to Jimena and Alfredo and Faread moreread lessyvettew_124 years ago
- Nous venons de passer une semaine à la Peral de Somiedo.
L'environnement est magnifique et la chambre où nous logions est confortable et trés agréable,avec une vue superbe.
Notre séjourne fut pas seulement un semaine de vacances mais un enrichissement culturel et linguistique constant. L'immersion n'est pas un vain mot: repas (exc1ellents) pris ensemble; belles excursions mais aussi cours très enrichissants.
Nous avons énormément appris et avons des outils pour progresser au retour.
Une semaine formidable à tous points de vue.
Bernard et Odileread moreread lessBernard Pradat4 years ago
- My week with Jimena and Alfredo was absolutely unforgettable. The natural beauty of the area served as a springboard for my Spanish learning. During my time with these wonderful teachers my life indeed was in Spanish—whether hiking in the mountains, enjoying a delicious meal around the table, or reading and writing during the course.
Alfredo makes it easy to arrive at the school by picking you up at the airport or train station . Once at El Cuélebre, you have a beautiful room with private access, a full bath, and all the amenities typical of a thoughtful host. Meals are superb, and the balance between instructional and private time is perfect. My field trip to the Atlantic Coast provided yet another opportunity to indulge in beautiful vistas, Asturian gastronomy and be part of daily life in rural Spain.
My week at El Cuélebre far exceeded my expectations on every level.read moreread lessKaren Buglass4 years ago
- Epoustouflant Un séjour à El Cuélebre est une pleine réussite sur tous les plans. Le site est magique, même en hiver ,isolé, reposant. Les randonnées sont magnifiques, adaptées à chacun. Le logement agréable, poétique même. La cuisine délicieuse, l'ambiance familiale et chaleureuse. Alfredo et Jimena sont deux pédagogues hors pairs, de savants linguistes très cultivés, à la conversation passionnante. La salle de cours est bien équipée, l'attention des professeurs est constante, et les progrès rapides sont garantis.
Ce furent mes meilleures vacances. J'y retournerai en février 2020, cette fois dans leur maison d'hiver à Tenerife, et en attendant , je continue à prendre des leçons par Skype avec Jimena, car je ne peux plus me passer d'elle.
Claudine, 70 ans.read moreread lessClaudine, 70 ans.4 years ago
- El tiempo pasado en El Cuélebre fue simplemente fenomenal! La atencion de Alfredo y Jimena es permanente. Fue mimada!
Aprendi tantas cosas de la lengua actual y de la historia de Espana (y otros paises) y de Asturia y leon, que ahora no puedo sonar en frances, sino en espanol.
El lugar maravilloso, salvaje y muy lejos del turismo habitual, es un paraiso para los enamorados de naturaleza y quietud.
Ademas, el hogar de Alfredo y Jimena es muy confortable y la habitacion que tenia no faltaba de nada, con un cuarto de bano privado, un armario, una television, internet y una vista maravillosa sobre el monte.
Los cursos de Alfredo son muy intensivos y ligeros y divertidos, por medio de poesia, canciones, articulos de prensa..Aprendi mucho.
Ademas, la cocina es deliciosa y local.
Lo que me gusto mas que todo fue la posibilidad de hablar espanol todo el dia en conversaciones sobre temas a veces muy profundos y varios, sin darme cuento que lo hiciste. Eso, con la ayuda frecuente y dicreta de los dos.
Que paciencia tienen!
En una frase..... quiero regresar!read moreread lesssylvie gout4 years ago
- What a delightful couple! Jimena and Alfredo are two well-experienced Spanish teachers, sensitive and attentive to your particular needs in learning their language - with least effort. They welcome you into their home into a spacious room with en-suite shower room with magnificent views over the mountains. Spanish is taught through formal lessons and entertaining conversations at meal times and during the daily outings. The meals are delicious and typically Spanish. They live in a beautiful, unspoilt part of Asturias, in the Somiedo Nature Reserve, and are extremely generous with their time and availability in sharing their knowledge of the flora, fauna and traditional way of life. They went out of their way so we were lucky enough to see two bears and they ensured we saw chamois before we left. Everything is made-to-measure so we were delighted with our stay and thoroughly enjoyed their easy-going company. We highly recommend this Spanish school.read moreread lessJudith Christie4 years ago
- Excelente manera de aprender español ¡Qué encantadora pareja! Jimena y Alfredo son dos profesores de español con mucha experiencia, sensibles y atentos a sus necesidades particulares para aprender su idioma, con el menor esfuerzo. Le dan la bienvenida a su hogar en una habitación espaciosa y cuarto de baño privado con magníficas vistas de las montañas. El español se enseña a través de lecciones formales y conversaciones entretenidas durante las comidas y durante las salidas diarias. Las comidas son deliciosas y típicamente españolas. Viven en una zona hermosa y virgen de Asturias, en la Reserva Natural de Somiedo, y son extremadamente generosos con su tiempo y disponibilidad para compartir sus conocimientos sobre la flora, la fauna y la forma de vida tradicional. Hicieron todo lo posible para que tuviéramos la suerte de ver dos osos y se aseguraron de ver una gamuza antes de irnos. Todo está hecho a medida, por lo que quedamos encantados con nuestra estadía y disfrutamos mucho de su compañía fácil de llevar. Recomendamos encarecidamente esta escuela de español.read moreread lessJudith C4 years ago
- Aprende español y camina en las montañas de Austuria. Pasé 6 días encantadores con Alfredo y Jimena aprendiendo español; Formalmente en las mañanas y de manera informal durante las comidas y mientras camina por las hermosas montañas del parque nacional de Somiedo. El Cu lebre se encuentra en un pequeño pueblo rodeado de montañas con acceso a muchos senderos espectaculares. Las lecciones se adaptan a sus deseos y son individuales. Además, muchos buenos consejos y materiales para llevar a casa para continuar el estudio. El alojamiento es excelente y consta de una habitación grande con baño privado, cama grande, televisión, calefacción independiente. ¡También disfruté la comida y el vino! Como alguien a quien le gusta caminar y aprender español, fue una gran experiencia.read moreread lessCDtrabel4 years ago
- Una experiencia maravillosa aprendiendo español Me quedé con Alfredo y Jimena durante 9 días, con la intención de mejorar mi español como vivo en Asturias ahora, pero obtuve mucho más de lo que esperaba. Una de las grandes cosas es que te adaptan el curso y las excursiones. Son muy acogedores y disfruté de nuestras conversaciones que van desde el entorno, la cultura y la historia española y asturiana. Tengo la suerte de vivir en Asturias, que es una parte hermosa de España con excelente comida y belleza natural, así que hicimos algunas excursiones en León.
Es muy conveniente ya que te recogen y te devuelven a cualquier lugar de Asturias y absolutamente todo está incluido. Incluso si solo desea pasar una semana en un bello entorno y simplemente aprender suficiente español para el resto de sus vacaciones, sería perfecto.
Las explicaciones de Alfredo realmente me ayudaron y sus recomendaciones sobre herramientas en línea y cosas como canciones en español para escuchar fueron muy útiles.
¡Definitivamente regresaré! !read moreread lessruth_heronmoor4 years ago
- Yo disfruté el curso muchisimo!!!!
Alfredo and Jimena are great hosts and go to a lot of effort to tailor the course to your particular situation. OF course the walks in Somiedo are fantastic, seeing the footprints of a brown bear in the snow incredible! If you don't live in Spain, this is a great way to see a part of Spain that is not well known and if like me you are lucky enough to live in Asturias "El Paraíso Natural", it is a great way to take the next step up in becoming fluent in Spanish and to learn more about Asturias and Spanish culture. It was great that you get recommendations on which online tools to use.
Even if you are just coming for a holiday, especially if you are a solitary traveler who doesn't speak Spanish but wants to get to know "Green Spain" I would recommend it.read moreread lessRuth Credo4 years ago
- If you’re reading this review, you’re probably reading the others here, too. From our personal experiences, every glowing comment about El Cuélebre is absolutely true!
We are a retired couple from Arizona, USA, and have just ended 2 incredible weeks studying Spanish, and at the same time experiencing Asturias, with Alfredo and Jimena — El Cuélebre’s owners, teachers, hiking guides, and so much more — at their quaint little pueblo of La Peral in the Somiedo Natural Park. It was an astounding time, one of the best of our lives.
First, the teaching and language immersion. We had Spanish classes with Alfredo twice a day. These were entertaining and culturally informative lessons tailored to our individual needs. Learning continued outside of class during hikes, trips, and meals, with both Alfredo and Jimena gently correcting our mistakes and elaborating on grammatical points when we didn’t fully understand. There were lively discussions about Spanish history and culture, current events in Spain, and the natural and human history of Asturias.
Alfredo and Jimena are both exceptional Spanish teachers, not only because they know so well how to teach it, but also because they have worked hard themselves to learn English (and other languages). They understand what students struggle with, and why, and how problems are best addressed. They know what’s needed to continue progressing toward fluency in a new language. They advised us on the best ways we can be permanent students at home (websites, periodicals, music, radio, TV, etc.). After two intense weeks, we thought that our Spanish had improved significantly, especially listening comprehension and speaking. It’s important to say, though, that they are flexible teachers, and they can/will tailor the intensity to the interests and desires of their students.
The main “extracurricular” activity was hiking. We’ve hiked in many stunning parts of the U.S. and Mexico. Honestly, though, the most breathtakingly beautiful spot we’ve experienced is Asturias! Jimena and/or Alfredo took us hiking everyday, except for two one-day driving excursions (see below). Each hike was unique, and special in some way. Several passed through traditional, centuries-old brañas, still worked today and populated by congenial Asturian cattle. (The hills are, indeed, alive with the sound of music from the multi-toned bells the cows wear.) Because Jimena has worked for an NGO that is dedicated to the conservation of the Asturian brown bear, she really knows both the trails in the Somiedo Natural Park and the natural history of the park.
On the two days we didn’t hike, Jimena and Alfredo took us on car excursions. The first included a visit to a cave with prehistoric paintings, a “comida” at a traditional Asturian restaurant in a small town, a walk down to a beautiful beach on the coast, and a stroll into a charming fishing village. The second excursion was to the impressive city of Oviedo and environs, and then to some spectacular sites in an adjacent natural park and in a remote part of Castile y León.
The food! Jimena is a fantastic cook (Alfredo cooks a pretty mean Spanish tortilla, himself). Each mid-afternoon “comida” was different and delicious, with Spanish wine and great conversation, often in their pergola outdoors, surrounded by the mountains.
Finally, the accommodations are perfect. Alfredo and Jimena added a suite to their house, with its own entrance, just for their students. It’s private, comfortable, plenty spacious, and cozy, with everything you need to feel at home. Best of all, though, are the views from every window — even the one in the shower.
Footnote: This is our third trip to Spain, starting in 2014, with stays ranging from 1 month to 11 weeks. We’ve been in most all the regions. Asturias is our favorite, by far! Yet, although it’s so beautiful and interesting, it’s uncrowded and relatively untouched by foreign tourism. Come here to experience a part of Spain still very much as it was in the past.read moreread lessMary Jane5 years ago
- I took the courses for 2 weeks, and every single day was fantastic! Alfredo and Jimena were very attentive and passionate, they explained thoroughly the tons of questions that I asked about Spanish and the Hispanic culture, and it was a pleasure sharing my Taiwanese culture with them too. We went trekking at different places everyday, which weren’t touristic and the sceneries were impressive. We also had some cooking classes and nearby city tours one in a while, and I loved all of it. Anyway, El Cuélebre is definitely 100% recommendable!!read moreread less陳又紅5 years ago
- If you want to escape the rat race and immerse yourself in Spain's language and culture, this is the place for you. La Peral is a stunning location, so peaceful and beautiful. Your hosts, Jimena and Alfredo, have created a homely environment where you will have to think about nothing other than relaxing and improving your Spanish. The teaching style is unique and will be adapted to your specific needs. You will improve your Spanish significantly under the expert guidance of Jimena and Alfredo whilst you enjoy your stay at La Peral.
Highly recommended.read moreread lessJames Kelly5 years ago
- I have just spent a week with Jimena and Alfredo. I fully endorse all the positive opinions left here! I could copy-paste them;-)! Jimena and Alfredo created for me a perfect mix of holidays and work and an equally perfect equilibrium between treating me like a family member and mine and indeed theirs need of privacy. They truly do what they describe on their website: they take into account your needs and preferences, both in learning as in things of everyday life. You get all you need to study (books, laptop , TV, WiFi...) and to relax (a spacious room with a true mountain view, a very comfortable bed, an electric water cooker, a yoga mat and many hiking possibilities - while hiking, you practice your Spanish of course, as Jimena and/or Alfredo will go with you). They are very patient teachers who share with their students not only the rules of Spanish grammar (they do it very well) but most of all their love for their language and country.
And last but not least: Asturias is sensationally beautiful.
Many many thanks for a fantastic week!read moreread lessAgnieszka Porebska6 years ago